Sunday 17 January 2016

This blimmin knee injury...

Back in the Spring of '10, on a sunny and slightly hungover Sunday afternoon in Spain, two friends decided to don their newly bought roller blades and scoot along the promenade.

Whilst packing my trusty backpack with water and a  jumper,  I looked across at my cumbersome knee pads and decided to forego them on this occasion, instead taking a snack (probably) and set off for some fun.


*note that I am wearing knee pads in this picture so wasn't actually the same day. I am just giving you a taste of how fun and fancy free we were*

Towards the end of the evening, I started making my way back and was going a little faster than I was comfortable with towards a crossing in the road. In a panic, I grabbed onto a lamppost and fell to the ground, landing with all of my weight onto my knee.
I can't quite remember the pain other than it was horrible but it was nothing compared to what was to come over the next week, months and even now, 6 years later.

Having broken my knee cap in half and having to undergo an operation to fit the above bad boys, it started a long road to full recovery. I shan't bore you with details but I spent several weeks in the blistering 40 degree heat in a full cast and wheelchair. Fortunately, I had some of the best friends a girl could ask for and was well looked after.



Those few months are now a slight blur but I had to learn to walk again. It took around 8 months before I was back to what I would consider normal.

Get to the point, I hear you cry. Yes, yes, sorry (have just found the photo adding feature) 

Well, after getting into exercise again but having to be aware of my knee and had many a frustrating session of not being able to go as hard or as fast I want to, sometimes battling between whether I was just being a pansy or I was seriously hurting myself, the pain in my knee was becoming all to constant so I carried myself off to the doctors.

1 MRI scan later informs me that at 28, I have 'moderately severe' arthritis. Moderately severe? what even is that? and a repetitive strain injury, from not looking after myself properly.

My name is Carol, I feel the cold easily, carry pocket tissues, I have arthritis and, yes, I am not over 70.

After an initial meltdown, some tears and cursing my past self at throwing my knee pads to one side, I have resigned myself to the fact that I have to take it easy. I have to tailor my workouts and routine to my body.

Luckily, I have had some great support and advice from both, Nick and excellent trainers at The Athlete centre, Didcot and am now looking forward and figuring out how best to reach my goals.


The conclusion, upper body? I'm coming for ya!!


Here is a little example of a work out from Nick:


  • Dynamic warm up of: 20 second plank, 20 toe touches, 20 second down dog and 20 SLOW mountain climbers x 3 rounds
  • 5 x 5 SLOW and negative press ups
  • 20 raised knee ups, 20 V ups and 20 flutter kicks x 3 rounds
  • Max effort of row hold with resistance band (aim for over 1 min each) x 3 rounds
Give it a go! 


No comments:

Post a Comment